Wombat Protection Society of Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is Harry Wombat?

2 posters

Go down

Who is Harry Wombat? Empty Who is Harry Wombat?

Post  harry wombat Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:18 pm

After reading the introductions by other members mine seems somewhat plain. I am a city dweller, in the suburbs of Sydney, with little chance of meeting a wombat other than at the local zoo or wildlife park. I do envy those who are able to have regular contact with wombats. As you might have gathered Harry Wombat is my non de plume, although Harry does exist in a manner of speaking. Many years ago when I lived in Melbourne I purchased a large hand made toy wombat from the St. Kilda market and he sits proudly on the sofa in the lounge. He is the real Harry Wombat.

harry wombat

Back to top Go down

Who is Harry Wombat? Empty Harry Wombat

Post  wombat woman Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:58 am

Hi Harry
I'm wombat woman! My husband and I are lucky enough to live in the middle of wombat territory. We've also been priviledged to experience the joy of raising and releasing a number of orphans. My very first soft toy wombat [Roland now has 13 friends] was a present from a young pen-pal when I was bottle feeding Bea, my very first wombat joey back in 1999.

I have a great photo of Roland and Bea outside together! Roland also travelled up to North Queensland with me two years ago, when I went to do a stint of volunteer teaching on a cattle station. The ten year old girl on the property also had a soft toy wombat, and Roland and Candy became engaged, and then married while we were there. It was a big event! They still write to each other, though I fear time and distance are having a detrimental effect on their relationship!!

Not everyone can hold a live wombat, so soft toys are the next best thing! They're a tangible reminder of the real thing, and I've taken them along to schools, and also used them for display at public events where it's too noisy to take a real wombat.The toy wombats can peek out of home-made pouches used when rearing orphanned wombats. Anyway, wombats need support from city dwellers too. They're wonderful creatures who are very much under valued in Australia at present. A world without wombats would be a sad place indeed!

Give the real Harry a hug from me...a lounge is a pretty good place to live. Quite a few of ours have found that lounges are pretty good places to climb up and snooze, prior to growing up and graduating full time to the great outdoors.

wombat woman

Back to top Go down